POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering: System req. and time. : Re: Rendering: System req. and time. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering: System req. and time.
From: Ross
Date: 3 Dec 2004 13:33:44
Message: <41b0b188$1@news.povray.org>
"GraphicsLizard" <gra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>      I was wondering what the rendering time of some more complicated
scenes
> would be. Then I realized, "what is complicated?" So my question to you
now
> is; what is the max rendering time some of you have encountered? I know it
> depends on the system specs so here are the specs of my laptop...
>
> Intel Pentium III Processor
> 498 MHz
> 256 MB of RAM
>
> ATI Rage Mobility: Dell
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I shy away from 0 PPS scenes. I think the longest render I've done was about
6 hours. It had an area light inside each of 4 glass globes, which were
filled with media. then add a sphere sweep and radiosity. it's not complex
really. i removed the sphere_sweep and just used lots of spheres placed
closely on a spline. search for "ross lamp" through the web interface and
you'll find a progression of images. (see i told you it's not complex ;)

to get a comparison to other peoples speeds, try running the benchmark as
described here: http://www.povray.org/download/benchmark.php

My computer info:
AMD Duron 800MHz
128MB RAM
running Slackware 9.1. X was running, as was Enlightenment, as would be my
normal situation while
using povray.

3.6:
Parse Time: 0 hours 0 minutes 4 seconds
Photon Time: 0 hours 1 minutes 54 seconds
Render Time: 1 hours 30 minutes 34 seconds
Total Time: 1 hours 32 minutes 32 seconds

also, maybe check the IRTC (http://www.irtc.org) images. I think people that
use POV-Ray for it usually say how long it took to render. For instance, the
3rd place for Sept-Oct used POV and took about 13 hours to render on a 1.1
GHz Athlon.