POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering: System req. and time. : Re: Rendering: System req. and time. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering: System req. and time.
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 3 Dec 2004 06:08:51
Message: <41b04943@news.povray.org>
> Intel Pentium III Processor
> 498 MHz
> 256 MB of RAM

These, along with the OS used (Win2000, WinNT, WinXP, Linux Distro) are the
important parts for comparison.

> ATI Rage Mobility: Dell

This isn't, as POV-Ray doesn't use the any hardware except the CPU on your
motherboard to calculate the image.

I have a Athlon XP+ 2.400 with 768 MB DDR-RAM running on Win2000, and the
longest render I've had so far with this setting was "A Rose" (Link:
http://www.nolights.de/past_pros/rose/rose.html), which required 1d2h52m
tracing time. On a 1.4Ghz Athlon with 512 MB RAM on Win2000 my "Gerberas"
(Link: http://www.nolights.de/past_pros/gerbera/gerbera.html) took around 2
days, but it's a lot faster now (of course).

Animations may also take up to a few days, e.g. my LSSM (liquid surface
simulation macros) required a few days for some of the examples seen on my
webpage.

Cause I can't wait several hours to just check upon one or two components of
an image, my rendering times never exceeded this two-day render for the
final version, otherwise, I could easily create images which require much
longer (and would also need it, I'm not talking about cranking
mesh-resolutions to levels beyond reason).

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"