POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL Just a thought : Re: SDL Just a thought Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL Just a thought
From: Ross
Date: 2 Dec 2004 11:40:07
Message: <41af4567$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Cook" <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in message
> Mike Thorn wrote:
> > I believe m1j has a point. I think there's a widespread idea in the
> > high-end world that just because POV is free, it's junk.
>
> I think slow speed of renders that can be done relatively quickly with
> corner cutting in mainstream applications has more to do with it.  Pure
> raytracing is hopelessly inefficient, relegating POV to hobbyists and
> specialized applications where other methods are too cumbersome.
>
> --
> Tim Cook
> http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

but there is some quality to purely raytraced images that other types of
renders don't have. for some reason, watching even the most simple raytraced
animation always makes me drool. mechanical simulations and particle
simulations in pov? man, that smoke simulation posted in p.b.animations not
too long ago made my jaw drop.