POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray for Windows 64-bit edition now available as a release candidate : Re: POV-Ray for Windows 64-bit edition now available as a release candidate Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray for Windows 64-bit edition now available as a release candidate
From: Lance Birch
Date: 2 Dec 2004 01:48:00
Message: <41aebaa0$1@news.povray.org>
"senji" <sen### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> > Hughes, B. wrote:
> > > Feel like I'm left behind in the dust with my current, and what I
consider
> > > to still be new, PC; having only the Intel Pentium IV with
Hyperthreading
> > > and my WinXP being only 32bit, too, I keep thinking I'm always making
bad
> > > computer buys.
> > > :-)
> > > I'm guessing this new and improved POV-Ray will be okay on a 64bit
Intel
> > > processor like the Nocona, or whatever it will be called...? But why
bother,
> > > since AMD seems to be staying ahead on that processing power stuff.
> > > Although, having checked up on pricing they don't seem to be very
different
> > > in cost and Intel is boasting a lot of improvements.
> >
> > This 64bit version is mainly developed for the AMD 64bit processors
> > (Athlon 64/Opteron).  Of course it should also run on whatever Intel
> > develops as compatible to the AMD64 extensions.  It won't run on Intel's
> > Itanium systems but that's a different league anyway.
> >
> > Since 64bit Windows versions are still in beta the whole 'Windows
> > 64-bit' concept is not that important for the broad market yet, the
> > number of people running POV-Ray on 64bit Unix systems (including AMD64)
> > is probably going to be higher than on Windows for quite some time.  If
> > you want to buy a relatively cheap and reliable 64bit system for use
> > with POV-Ray, AMD with Linux/FreeBSD is probably the way to go at the
> > moment.
> >
> > Christoph
> >
> > --
> > POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Sim-POV,
> > HCR-Edit and more: http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/
> > Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____.//^>_*_<^/.______
>
> I have Windows XP and an AMD Athlon 64.  But when I try to install it, it
> says I have the wrong processor type.  Do I have to "set" something yet or
> what?  And how do you install an *.msi file anyhow?!

First you need the *64-bit version* of Windows XP, called Windows XP
Professional x64, which you can download for free at:

https://microsoft.order-9.com/winxp64/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MSTrialandEval&category%5Fname=winxp64&product%5Fid=winxp64&id=dl

The 64-bit version is currently a time-limited trial and hasn't been
released as a final version for purchase.

Once you're running Windows XP Pro x64, then you will be able to install the
64-bit version of POV-Ray for Windows.  Installing a .msi should be as
simple as double-clicking on it - a .msi is a "Windows Installer" file.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com