POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Corrugated sheet metal : Re: Corrugated sheet metal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:26:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Corrugated sheet metal
From: gonzo
Date: 30 Nov 2004 22:39:45
Message: <41ad3d01@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

> A difference of two identical blobs, one of whitch is translated a small
> amount down, may be what you are looking for. The blobs are made of a
> serie of cylinder components. Intersect it with a box to get straight
> edges.
> Other than that, you may try a parametric or an issosurface. A marble
> base pattern using a cubic_wave to have smooth curves, it should have a
> fairly low max_gradient making it relatively fast.
> Once you have your sheet, just add some texture to it.

Heh heh, once again the POV newsgroup anticipates my question before I
even ask it!

I got a very nice *new* piece of sheetmetal by using a thin sphere_sweep
scaled on one axis to make the sheet, but I wanted to make one that's
warped and bent.  Your blob idea should work well.

I thought of isosurface but don't have a clue where to start. Guess I'm
"isochallenged".

RG