POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Some more dominos : Re: Some more dominos Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:51:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some more dominos
From: D J  Brown
Date: 30 Nov 2004 18:53:15
Message: <41ad07eb$1@news.povray.org>
Ralf Jonas wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > now that I've managed to write some macros to line up dozens of dominos
 > I'm trying to follow the falling dominos with the camera. But that
 > looks  really nervous and abrupt. Any hints for a smooth camera movement?

Instead of making the camera move along a path, per se, give them camera
an inertial vector, a rotational vector, and a mass. Then with each
frame, calculate the the movement of the camera and find it's new position.

Then, during the animation, start applying "energy" to those vectors to
affect the desired movement.

The nice thing about this method is that it's framerate independent and
can produce quite complex and natural feeling camera movements (makes it
easy to add physically correct "errors" like bouncing and
over-compensation).

I would also recommend writing a quick math macro that can determine the
vectors automatically based on a series of points and information about
how the overall behavior of the camera (maximum rotational/linear
acceleration and the like).

I think you'll find the implementation far more simple than my
explanation. ;)