POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Feature request - round : Re: Feature request - round Server Time
28 Sep 2024 11:02:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request - round
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 30 Nov 2004 03:29:14
Message: <41ac2f5a$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas A. Fine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After working for a bit with CSG objects, there's one feature that I
> want again and again, which would be massively, dramatically useful.
>
> If I could round the edges on objects automatically, without patching
> together lots of cylinders and spheres and toruses, life would be VASTLY
> simpler.

Even if it was easy to implement (which it's not for all shapes), it
would be very slow (look at the roundbox isosurface, or the whole
ISO-CSG stuff by Christoph Hormann) and it would not
solve the problem of joints or holes in unions, intersections and
differences (you would still get hard edges at object encounters).

The all-CSG-days are over.  If you need round or beveled edges,
that's a job for a specialized modeler (there are some around,
like Wings3D), which makes this very easily.

Fabien.