POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : color of image map in POVray image : Re: color of image map in POVray image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color of image map in POVray image
From: William Pokorny
Date: 27 Nov 2004 18:00:12
Message: <41a906fc$1@news.povray.org>
OK. Let me try again to get my mind around this.

- the gamma isn't stored as part of most images except png.
- when you talk about gamma correction being already applied to the image,
what you are essentially saying is that the image has been adjusted to
display properly on a 'gamma 2.2' display system  - not that the gamma is
stored with the image file itself.  (My failing this time around is here. I
have been for a long time taking images as "linear images" because there is
no gamma information stored as part of the image)
- the POV-Ray recommendation for all of us is to use assumed_gamma of 1.0
for reasons both internal to the POV-Ray engine and for distribution of
source code to others.
- Using an assumed_gamma of 1.0 will brighten any image used as an image map
set up to display correctly on any system where the true display gamma is >
1.0 and the display gamma is either defaulted or set to the true gamma of
the display system where POV-Ray is run.
- These implications apply to all color maps, and pigment maps that were
derived from images that looked good on  display systems with a gamma > 1.0.
- The most general solution is then to convert all mapped color information
so it will display correctly on a display system with a gamma of 1.0 (what I
understand now Christoph was suggesting), set the display_gamma correctly
for every system and use an assumed_gamma setting of 1.0.
- Many of the default textures supplied with POV-Ray have NOT been modified
to display correctly if using and assumed_gamma of 1.0 and the correct
display_gamma as recommended. Is there a reason the developers could not
supply an updated set of textures either as part of the standard package or
as an adjunct package?

Do I have this right or am I still confused?
Bill