POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : color of image map in POVray image : Re: color of image map in POVray image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color of image map in POVray image
From: Slime
Date: 25 Nov 2004 22:12:56
Message: <41a69f38@news.povray.org>
> Sorry but this is nonsense.  The above will apply normal gamma correction.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what's going on internally. All I know is that
when I don't have the assumed_gamma line, my PNG images are darker then
they're supposed to be in POV-Ray. Maybe this is because gamma correction
*isn't* being applied, or something - I don't know. All I know is that PNG
images are the only image format I use that have gamma correction
information stored in them, and they're the only type of images that give
wrong results when I don't have that line. So I assume that the problem is
caused, one way or another, by gamma correction doing what I don't want it
to do, and when I add that line (it's supposed to be there anyway I
believe), the problem goes away.

Also notice that I said "so that gamma correction has no effect," not "so
that there is no gamma correction." I realize that gamma correction is still
taking place, it's just that this way it produces the desired results. I
wasn't implying that POV-Ray is doing anything wrong. Maybe it's photoshop's
fault (when it saves the image). I assume it's *my* fault because I'm not
telling POV-Ray what the assumed gamma of my scene is.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]