POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL Just a thought : Re: SDL Just a thought Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL Just a thought
From: Shay
Date: 23 Nov 2004 10:31:17
Message: <41a357c5@news.povray.org>
Mike Thorn wrote:

> Personally, I would classify most of the HOF as "high end" quality.

Depends I guess on what you mean by "high end". There are some great
pictures in POV, and I consider what a person can do with a "normal"
resources to be more interesting than "high end" stuff.

*BUT* There is a whole other level. Don't know if you're American or
have ever seen the show "American Hotrod". You can build a very nice
hotrod with some wrenches, paint, and bondo in your garage, but the cars
on that show are the products of tens or even hundreds of thousands of
dollars, hundreds of man-hours, and hundred thousand dollar fabricating
machines. I think it's completely ridiculous to *have* a million dollar
hotrod, but that doesn't diminish my respect for the talent of the men
who *built* it. To these guys, there are no limitations. A very advanced
amateur might be able to chop a roof, but the guys on "American Hotrod"
can build a new roof from scratch. They don't pick out rims, they make
them. *This* is "high end".

That being said, there's no reason that a person or group of people
using POV-Ray with a sufficient amount of RAM and time wouldn't
conceivably be able to produce something high end. It just hasn't
happened yet.

  -Shay