POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL Just a thought : Re: SDL Just a thought Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:14:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL Just a thought
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 22 Nov 2004 22:16:05
Message: <41a2ab75$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
  > Make an image of "high-end" quality with POV-Ray, and no one would
> hesitate to put your image in such a gallery. It's not my standard nor
> probably yours, but I know exactly the standard to which you are
> referring with "high end". No such POV images exist.

Personally, I would classify most of the HOF as "high end" quality. It
may be just me, but I've looked at a lot of images done with 3DS Max,
Maya, Cinema4D, Lightwave, etc, and IMO the images in the HOF are of the
same caliber. For example:

http://povray.org/community/hof/office-13.php
http://povray.org/community/hof/bonsai.php
http://povray.org/community/hof/Villarceau_Circles-CSG.php
http://povray.org/community/hof/boltstill3.php
http://povray.org/community/hof/alchlab-big.php
http://povray.org/community/hof/patio.php
http://povray.org/community/hof/6b.php
http://povray.org/community/hof/16b.php
http://povray.org/community/hof/Frgotbig.php

I'm not immortal and I've been known to be wrong (a lot of the time).
And Chris, I don't mean to make a blanket generalization statement and
say that it's absolutely true that the only reason we don't see POV used
in CGI houses is because it's free - like I said, I'm open to other
reasons. It's just my personal opinion that it plays a tremendous part.
:) I apologize if this wasn't clear.

~Mike