POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL Just a thought : Re: SDL Just a thought Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:11:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL Just a thought
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 22 Nov 2004 16:12:01
Message: <41a25621$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> The idea that you could increase the popularity of a language by
> disallowing its use does not require any comment IMO...

I believe m1j has a point. I think there's a widespread idea in the
high-end world that just because POV is free, it's junk. This is
obviously untrue. Think about it: in every high-end graphics gallery
you've seen, whether community or personal, how many POV images have you
seen? I, for one, have never seen a single image. And I've looked.

Why is this? Of course it's not because POV is not easy to just pick up
and churn out a beautiful picture. Alias sells a whole shelf's worth of
books with the pure purpose of teaching one to use Maya. I think POV is
easier than that.

I'm open to other reasons, but I think m1j nailed it: corps and
mainstream high-end artists think that it's worthless because there's no
price tag specifically designed to blow holes in their socks.

I have not gotten into the SDL yet but I would be reluctant to portion
that off to sell - too many people have used it and have dependent
scenes to make that practical. I am saying that it is probably
worthwhile to create something, whether it's an SDL parser like
Christoph mentioned or maybe some features more aimed at large
companies, that could be sold. Or whatever - but something to put a
price on it. That's what a lot of people want to see when they're
shopping for their workflow.

~Mike