POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Lightning Effect from A to B : Re: Lightning Effect from A to B Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:28:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightning Effect from A to B
From: Ross
Date: 18 Nov 2004 13:53:54
Message: <419cefc2$1@news.povray.org>
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote in message
> davidbritz(at)yahoo(dot)com
>
> > I am looking for a way to simulate lightning going from point A to B.
> > Is it possible to do so using fractals? Or is there an easy script for
> > making white lightning between points?
>
> I would suggest to make a spheresweep moving along a spline constructed
> using macro from meany points to with turbulence movment is applyed.
>
> Also recursion might make it easy to add several smaller
lighting-branches.

> --
> http://www.raf256.com/3d/
> Rafal Maj 'Raf256', home page - http://www.raf256.com/me/
> Computer Graphics

this came up from a google search:
http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3C3aed8503%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=12

maybe it could be modified to connect to a certain end point.

Any searches through the web interface of the povray newsgroups for
"lightning" only shows that people mispell "lighting" as "lightning" way too
much to make "lightning" a useful search term.

so i give up. my two cents are, it seems lightning is more tree-like than
spline-like so i'd go with a fractal-type method. Plus, if the lightning is
way off in the distance, sphersweeps are unnecesarily slow. some combination
of cylinders and cones with spheres connecting them would be faster.