POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Missing POV-Ray : Re: Missing POV-Ray Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:46:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Missing POV-Ray
From: Mike Thorn
Date: 18 Nov 2004 12:22:03
Message: <419cda3b$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> In XP there's a chevron next to the notification area . Click it and it
> will expand the notification area showing all icons, it could have been
> hidden because it was "inactive" However,
>
> I don't know if IExplore took explorer down with it, but if it did:
>
> go to http://www.sysinternals.com and download process explorer. Unzip
> it, run it, find the PVENGINE process and right-click. Choose bring to
> front.

Occasionally the chevron will be gone; I think there's a bug in Windows
causing this, especially after the volume icon is clicked. If the
chevron is gone, there's a simpler solution. I discovered this yesterday
after spending the better part of an hour trying to open up POV that I
had set on High priority and then put in the tray. Since the priority
was so high it wouldn't respond to clicks on the taskbar. I could barely
open up the Task Manager.

All you have to do is browse through Windows Explorer to your POV-Ray
installation directory and open pvengine.exe. If you have "Keep Single
Instance" checked, POV-Ray will immediately come up - the same one that
was in the tray just a few seconds ago. No render interruptions. If you
don't have the Single Instance option checked and a *new* POV program
comes up, check the option (found on the Options menu), exit that POV
instance and reopen it. It *should* open up the instance that's hidden
in your taskbar.

Hope it works...I know all about that "I don't want to lose this looong
render!!" feeling. :) (I currently have one running that's been chugging
for approximately 3 days, 1 hour and 17 minutes!)

~Mike