POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Density help : Re: Density help Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Density help
From: Slime
Date: 17 Nov 2004 17:04:36
Message: <419bcaf4$1@news.povray.org>
> Since Florian has it figured out now and we're on the topic of media
> density, can I ask a question? For a while now I've been wondering how
> one would create a plasma effect similar to this:
> http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/van/demos/Plasma%20Ball/PlasmaBall-small.jpp.
> How would any of you go about doing it?

That's not an easy one. I would probably separate it into three emission
medias, one for the purple strands, one for the red things on the outside,
and one for the red thing on the inside.

For the purple things, I might start with the trick I just explained, only
with maybe the leopard pattern or crackle form<1,0,0> with some sort of
color map to get thin things extending outwards. Then I'd add some
turbulence.

The red things would use the same pattern (to ensure that there's a red
thing at the end of each purple thing), with a different color map that both
changes the color and makes them bigger. I'd combine this with a spherical
density that had a color map to make sure I only got red on the outer edges
(and not mixed in with the purple stuff).

The inner red thing could possibly be done with just a simple spherical
pattern.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]