POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Density help : Re: Density help Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Density help
From: Slime
Date: 17 Nov 2004 15:14:58
Message: <419bb142$1@news.povray.org>
> Can anybody give me some pointers on how to create a media density like
> the one you can see in http://tinyurl.com/4ddjl (the two spheres at the
> right side). I tried it using a spherical warp on a scaled leopard
> pattern and using actual cones, but none look good.

Looks like it's the noise function sampled along the surface of a sphere:

#include "functions.inc"

// separate function used to avoid recalculating dist multiple times
#declare noisefunc = function(x,y,z,dist) {f_noise3d(x/dist,y/dist,z/dist)}

density {
function {noisefunc(x,y,z,sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z))}
// you may want to add a color map too, or maybe not:
color_map {
[.4 rgb 0]
[.6 rgb 1]
}