POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : benchmark question : Re: benchmark question Server Time
1 Jul 2024 13:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: benchmark question
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 11 Nov 2004 08:38:24
Message: <41936b50$1@news.povray.org>
> http://www.haveland.com/index.htm?povbench/index.php
> and seen the (to me) astonishing 00:07:34 for a single
> Pentium Xeon on a Dell Precision 450 running Lunar Linux.

	I'm sorry to say I don't believe in any of these benchmark results
(at least those below the 20 minutes barreer on a single processor).  Even
in those that give some sort of notes on how they prepared the binary and
ran the benchmark.

> Generally I'm extremely pleased with it, but dissappointingly
> my benchmark (pov 3.6.1 this time) comes nowhere close.
> With a gcc optimized build I measured 00:35:30 and after
> getting hold of the Intel Compiler and rebuilding with that
> I got it down to 00:30:28.

> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz

	Your results agree pretty well with what I got myself for
the Intel Xeon @ 3.06 GHz:

http://pov4grasp.free.fr/articles/fastpov1/xeon_3.06.png

	GCC 3.4.x gives at best 00:32:30, and ICC 8.1 about 00:28:10 in
my tests -- so you may have a look at which compiler flags I used if you
want to gain another two minutes  :-)

	- NC