POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Real sky : Re: Real sky Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real sky
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 Nov 2004 11:46:55
Message: <4190f47f$1@news.povray.org>
> Please tell me if I missed something.

No, I think you concluded the details very nicely. As POV-Ray doesn't
simulate actual wavelength scattering, you could only simulate the effect by
using pre-colored media, of which the color might be calculated via some
algorithm which works out the color in regard to the sun's position or so.

As for doing that entirely using media, I only see the advantage of this if
you plan to actually place objects visibly behind the atmosphere. For
example, for a scene I once did I used media to create the blue color of the
sky, so that I might place a moon behind the atmosphere. Thus, the black
shadow of the moon would be tinted blue as well and I got the same effect as
in real life.
For the major part of scenes, I simply use some distant ground fog to
simulate the distance-haze along with a properly colored sky-sphere. Clouds
are layered in shells above the scene. I seldomly use scattering media for
the entire atmosphere, it's often a local effect which I achieve by using a
large enough container and fading the scattering to the edges (e.g. using
the "spherical" pattern as a multiplier, or the "planar" pattern to simulate
volumetric ground fog).

> I'm working on it,
> and I'm learning some more about Povray, thanks Tim for your very
> instructive website.

Always a pleasure seeing that someone has a use for it! :-)

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>