POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Re: Rules violations? : Re: Rules violations? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:43:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rules violations?
From: Warp
Date: 9 Nov 2004 06:18:01
Message: <4190a769@news.povray.org>
James A Coons <jac### [at] ameritechnet> wrote:
> Since there is a 250K file size limit on submissions, I think it is
> necessary to allow resizing and recompression. I render to TGA at 1024x768
> for the best quality, then compress to JPEG for final submission. However,
> I may have to shrink it to meet the 250K size.

  It might be a good idea for the IRTC to increase that size limit a bit
(eg. to 512kB or whatever) specially since the pixel size restrictions
have been removed some time ago.
  I think that the idea of the file size restriction is that people
(specially the judges) should be able to download the images in a
reasonable time with slow connections.

  In my experience it's quite unusual that a 1024x768 image cannot be
converted to a 250kB JPEG without the image quality degrading visibly,
specially if you start fine-tuning the JPEG compression parameters (with
programs which support adjusting them, such as the gimp or cjpeg).
  There are some pathological images which seem to get artifacts (when
using default compression parameters) no matter what you do. A typical
example is a red area right next to a blue area. However, these artifacts
can usually be greatly reduced without the file size growing too much
by setting a finer sampling (ie. 1x1,1x1,1x1 instead of the default).