POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rounding edges : Re: Rounding edges Server Time
18 May 2024 22:34:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rounding edges
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 8 Nov 2004 12:45:59
Message: <418fb0d7$1@news.povray.org>
Bathurstfreak wrote:
>>Bevelling in csg is not trivial for anything more complex than right-angles.
>>I had some limited success with a recent(!) pic
>>http://thyme.homelinux.net/Gallery/kotoji.html
>>I can post the macro I came up with if you're interested, it just deals
>>with bevelling intersecting cylinders.
>

> Cheers, Bevelling was not the issue at the moment, the wheel arches are made
> up of several (now) rounded cylinders bevelled together, however rounding
> off the intersection of two spheres that make up the middle of the fuselage
> is now my challenge, I even tried using blobs, but that didn't work too
> well, I am hesitant to use bicubic or other types of patches because of the
> issues they create where patches are joined together.

My BetweenTori() macro in this file can connect spheres and
tori smoothly:

http://home.no/t-o-k/POV-Ray/CSG-Fung.txt

Here's some images that were made with this macro:

http://home.no/t-o-k/POV-Ray/CSG-Fung.jpg
http://home.no/t-o-k/POV-Ray/CSG-Glass_Ball.jpg
http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/CSG_Inside_It.jpg
http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/CSG_Cut_In_It.jpg
http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/CSG_Smooth_Tori.jpg
http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/CSG_Smooth_Tori_Cut.jpg

And it could have been used to make theese images:

http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/CSG_Sphere_Bumps.jpg
http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/CSG_Lens_Surface.jpg

If the topology of your object allows you to use quadrilateral
meshes, then you can stictch together several of POV-Ray's
bezier patches, like I have done in these images:

http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/Bezier_Patches_Stitched.jpg
http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/Bezier_Patches_Stitched_.jpg
http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/Bezier_Patches_Torus.jpg
http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/Bezier_Patches_UV-mapped.jpg