POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: How much is TOO FAR and TOO BIG? : Re: How much is TOO FAR and TOO BIG? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much is TOO FAR and TOO BIG?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 5 Nov 2004 08:25:24
Message: <418b7f44$1@news.povray.org>
Jeff wrote:

> Since I am modeling star *systems* (and everything they contain) I need to
> know what my *safe* boundries are. Thus I need to know what a *safe* Huge
> is as in sphere { <0,0,0>, Huge }.

Taking into consideration that POVRay uses double precision floating
point values (at least as built on intel platforms, others may vary)
there are 52 mantissa bits. In normalised form, this yeilds actually 53
bits of precision (the first bit is implied to be 1) which gives a
maximum representable whole number of: 9,007,199,254,740,992

Depending on how many digits to the right of the decimal point you'll
need, You'll have to move that decimal to the left a bit. (Keeping in
mind what POVRay needs is dependant on what type of object you are
attempting to trace. I'd at least cut the number of digits in half.
90,071,992 would probably be a safe bet, but really it depends on
whether or not there's enough headroom for the root-solver.

--
~Mike