POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
17 Jun 2024 20:33:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: scott
Date: 3 Nov 2004 10:58:02
Message: <4189000a$1@news.povray.org>
j wrote:
> "scott" <sco### [at] spamcom> wrote:
>
>> OK sorry I misunderstood.  I was thinking that because I am no
>> expert at 3rd party modellers, I would have more of a chance of
>> winning by getting some "credit" for doing models in raw POV.  If
>> you are saying that an identical model created in both raw POV and a
>> 3rd party modeller gets the same credit, then I will have to
>> practise more with what looks like easier tools to use for
>> complicated models.
>
> It will be a pity if models made solely in povray does not deserve
> more credits.

I agree, but by the sounds of it the organisers want world-class images as a
result, *not* world-class POV code.

> The only reasons that I would use a modeller are for
> things like nurbs, organic, some ridiculously oddly looking shape
> that can only be done with meshes. I do agree that it takes some time
> to create high quality models in povray, and because of this I
> believe that models made purely in Povray should deserve extra credit.

Just because something is harder and takes longer I don't think it should
deserve more credit.  Most of us are only hobbyists, we have a limited time.
If we are being rewarded for spending 10 hours generating a clever model in
POV compared to spending 2 hours knocking it up in a modeller, then that's 8
hours we've lost that could have been spent on texturing/lighting within POV
to make the final image look world-class.