POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
1 Jun 2024 21:09:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: scott
Date: 3 Nov 2004 10:14:36
Message: <4188f5dc$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

>> Had they made it clear that it was perfectly acceptable to use a 3rd
>> party modeller for creating meshes then I'm sure the quality of
>> entries would have been far higher.
>
> Well, the guidelines say "You are allowed to use any tool you want for
> modeling, texturing etc.". About modeling, they say that "self-made
> models" will be seen in a positive light, but it's vs non-self-made
> models, not 3rd party modelers! The "technical novelty" section also
> says that while using the POV-Ray SDL is a good thing, the goal of
> technical novelty "should not be attained at the expense of
> neglecting any of the other guidelines".

OK sorry I misunderstood.  I was thinking that because I am no expert at 3rd
party modellers, I would have more of a chance of winning by getting some
"credit" for doing models in raw POV.  If you are saying that an identical
model created in both raw POV and a 3rd party modeller gets the same credit,
then I will have to practise more with what looks like easier tools to use
for complicated models.

>> I won't be carrying on with my entry, I don't want to be wasting my
>> time
> on one single image for a prize that might never actually be given
> away.
>
> There's no reason to think that the prizes won't be given away. They
> will.

But what happens if the quality of work isn't much different by the end of
January?  Will the prizes be given away then, or will you wait another 3
months?  Just genuinely curious.

> If you've worked hard to make detailed models, you now have the
> opportunity to create a scene worthy of them that will include
> excellent texturing and lighting.

I'll see, the more I think about it the more I'm tempted to carry on :-)