POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : WIP - Highnoon Director's Cut : WIP - Highnoon Director's Cut Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:42:06 EDT (-0400)
  WIP - Highnoon Director's Cut
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 31 Oct 2004 15:48:52
Message: <41854fb4@news.povray.org>
Just wanted to share my latest achievement.

So, I've set myself to rework some of the scenes of my IRTC entry. The
deadline prohibited long delays. Effects like the one you're about to
witness require dozens of renderings and tests to get it just right: not too
much effect, but not too subtle either. Finding bugs along the way
(referring to today's post of "Bug?", by me) doesn't help much either, as
you need to find a workaround...

Anyways, what's happening here is rather simple: an animated spherical blob
with center at the camera. Trigonometry helps locating the plasma's location
in relation to the sphere and map a few additional blob-components to
distort the surface. Rays hitting the untouched blob will pass through, but
where the surface isn't perpendicular to the ray, we get refraction.
Tweaking the power of the blobs, their size, and the ior requires a little
patience, but who would work with POV-Ray if he had none of that? :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"