POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Noobie Question Re: Drawing a river : Re: Noobie Question Re: Drawing a river Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:28:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noobie Question Re: Drawing a river
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 28 Oct 2004 15:40:57
Message: <41814b46@news.povray.org>
cobrav10 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Am very new to Povray and am trying to draw a scene of a river flowing
> through a desert.  I have looked at the tutoials and am up on the sand and
> water texture stuff, but am unsure how to draw the river and ground
> surfaces.  My thoughts are;
>
> draw 2 planes, 1 for the river and 1 for the ground.
> Apply isosurfaces of the texture to them and try to have the ground (bumpy
> so bits are higher than the water.
> Where the water plane intersects the ground (apply I think the intersect
> command) so only the water intersected by the ground (that region) is
> displayed.
>
> Am I on the right track??

See the attached picture for my river implementation. I simply used a
hightfield. Also find attached the source file for the heightfield. In  a
sense, your idea with the planes will work fine - my "water surface" is
merely the same heightfield displaced a bit upward and moved so a different
part of it is visible. And textured differently, of course!

--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician

Post a reply to this message