POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Circular Helix : Re: Circular Helix Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Circular Helix
From: David Robinson
Date: 27 Oct 2004 16:01:52
Message: <417ffeb0@news.povray.org>
"Renderdog" <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote in message
> "David Robinson" <tdf### [at] ezrscom> wrote:
> > Only real problem right now is that it only renders 1/4 of the scene
(but I
> > have a feeling it is more likely to be building 1/4 of the model). I've
> > tried playing with a couple of settings but nothing is making enough of
> > difference to hit me in the face with a clue...!
> >
> > I'm also trying to view this from top down.
>
> The f_helical_torus is centered about <0,0,0>, so you might try
>    contained_by { box { <-200, -200, -200>, <200, 200, 200> } }
> to show the entire object.
>
> f_helical_torus is a hoop about the Y axis, so to view the entire
> hoop from above (camera at +Y) you might remove the
>    rotate 90*x
> which I used to rotate it to face the Z axis.
>
> Finally, the
>    scale 0.1
> is there because I couldn't get the ratio of the rope to the hoop's
> radius what I wanted without scaling the entire object.

Ok, I'm starting to understand it now. Thanks for everything so far :)

However, I think the Torus aspect is not quite what I had in mind, now that
I can see it in its entirety. I have attached an image to show an example if
it helps. It shows two intertwined helixes.

Hopefully this is achievable? There are going to be a number of these in the
scene, each one larger than this (and with more twists each time) - as I
say, if I export a mesh from a different program, things get unmanageable
very quickly.

Thanks again,

David

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'double spun helix.jpg' (36 KB)

Preview of image 'double spun helix.jpg'
double spun helix.jpg