POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : More than 4gig of memory? : Re: More than 4gig of memory? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More than 4gig of memory?
From: Laurent ARTAUD
Date: 26 Oct 2004 11:39:30
Message: <417e6fb2$1@news.povray.org>

> I was on the povcomp website looking (okay, drooling) at the grand prize and
> at the bottom of the description, it mentions that it can be used to render
> scenes that would be "impossible with only 4 gig of memory (paraphrased)."
>
> I admit to being very much a novice with Povray, but what scenes take more
> than 4 gig of memory? Has anyone worked on such things, and are they in the
> hall of fame? :)
>
> Just curious,
>
> Zesty

Using more than 4GB RAM? I've not yet seen a scene needing that much.
But I know that using rad and photons and some meshs can make you swap
easily.
I, at one time, generated a photon save file of more than 700MB. Had to
abort the render: I have "only" 784MB and did not want to spend too much
time swapping for a TEST scene...

If you want to see a pic that needed more than 1GB to render, look at
this one: http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2001-06-30/warm_up.jpg.
The text says:
"parse 11 min 40 sec / trace 101 h 18 min (AA 0.1)/ 1110 MB peak memory"

And I'm pretty sure that with the 64bits procs available actually, it is
only a matter of time...

Regards,

--
Laurent ARTAUD