POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : More than 4gig of memory? : Re: More than 4gig of memory? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More than 4gig of memory?
From: Slime
Date: 25 Oct 2004 17:42:19
Message: <417d733b$1@news.povray.org>
> I admit to being very much a novice with Povray, but what scenes take more
> than 4 gig of memory?

#declare rnd = seed(543);
#declare n=0;
#while (n < 100000000)
sphere {<rand(rnd),rand(rnd),rand(rnd)>*10000,rand(rnd) pigment {rgb 1}}
#declare n = n + 1;
#end

Heh. =)

More practically, I have a scene which has a large number of copies of an
object, which has a large number of copies of smaller objects, each of which
is fairly complex. That adds up to a lot of little objects, and the more
memory I have the less I have to worry about conserving it. Since I "only"
have a gig of memory, I have to come up with clever ways of avoiding placing
objects where they won't be visible, in order to save memory.

Then, of course, there's radiosity data and photons, which can take up a lot
of memory. Plus things loaded during parse time like image or density file
data. It can all add up.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]