POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
19 May 2024 02:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: emkaah
Date: 23 Oct 2004 21:38:06
Message: <417b077e$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> 417af71a@news.povray.org...
>

>>Is that till midnight at the end or the beginning of the day? (don't
>>answer this question, it's a joke.)
>

> There will be a countdown timer ! (to be confirmed, and pending official
> announcement).

So you answered it anyway...ok.

> I'm not sure about having the judges commenting on all the images. This
> would lead on speculation about potential preferences from the judges etc.

Yes, of course, but is it a problem to state that an image has potential
if done better or not?

I mean with postponing the deadline, the competition is not really
honest anymore. I would have done another image if I knew I had 6 months
instead of 2.5 (one with more modeling or more complicated structures
for example). The contestants who where too ambitious and only found out
a week before the deadline they couldn't finish their image in time,
have now the change to finish there project. So basically lousy planning
gets rewarded.

Don't get me wrong I personally don't mind. With people like Tor Olav
also participating makes the competition far more interesting.

When commenting on the submitted images, you give people ideas to make
their work better. As most of us (if not all) are amateurs it would be a
great learning experience. And pointing this out with examples would be
more interesting. (Didn't you folks could make this competition better
if you didn't got feedback in this newsgroup?)

>>Also if you make the images public with your comments, then also other
>>people are clear what the level of their image must be to have a change
>>for a price.
>

> The decision of making the images public is being considered, but no
> decision has been taken yet (it would depart from the original rules so it's
> not easy to decide). In any case, if you want to know what sort of level is
> expected, check a website like http://www.raph.com/3dartists/. I'll add
> other examples later.

I agree it should be on this level. It's a pity they don't say how long
they worked on the images.

-Em