POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Segmentation fault : Re: Segmentation fault Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:13:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Segmentation fault
From: Florian Brucker
Date: 23 Oct 2004 04:04:45
Message: <417a109d@news.povray.org>
> You have a very common misconception about the user manual here:  The user
> manual is *not* a specification of how POV-Ray should behave, and neither is
> the assumption that everything the manual does not explicitly forbid legal.
> The user manual should only be read such that everything it explicitly says
> is allowed may be used.
I can understand that the documentation is written in such a way.
However that is not clear, IMO, because there's a section called
"POV-Ray Reference". From my understanding of the word "reference"
denotes a complete explanation of something. But while I may be wrong
here (because I'm not a native English speaker), I think that the
following sentence, found at the beginning of chapter "2.2 Scene
Description Language" gives the same impression:

"The reference section describes the POV-Ray scene description language.
It is supposed to be used as a reference for looking up things. It does
not contain detailed explanations on how scenes are written or how
POV-Ray is used. It just explains *all* features, their syntax,
applications, *limits*, drawbacks, etc."

This has, however, nothing to do with my original report, so I'm setting
up a F'up2 povray.documentation.inbuilt.

Have a nice weekend,
Florian
--
camera{look_at-y*10location<8,-3,-8>*10}#local a=0;#while(a<999)sphere{
#local _=.01*a-4.99;#local p=a*.01-5;#local c=.01*a-4.995;<sin(p*pi)*5p