POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Bicubic patch artifact [GIF animation, 20 frames, 400 x 300, 205 KB] : Re: Bicubic patch artifact [GIF animation, 20 frames, 400 x 300, 205KB] Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:42:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bicubic patch artifact [GIF animation, 20 frames, 400 x 300, 205KB]
From: andrel
Date: 24 Oct 2004 14:48:00
Message: <417BF85A.8090802@hotmail.com>
Yadgar wrote:

> High!
>
> Today I tried an animation of a waving flag... I composed the flag of
> five bicubic patches in one row, with 40 control points altogether, the
> adjacent edges exactly matched.

You probably mean 48 control points, for every bicubic patch the two
inner lines plus the 8 control points on the ends of the flag.
I also assume you compute the remaining control points by interpolation.
In that case, it should not happen (but you knew that already).

Can you state more specifics? Which version of POV and possibly show
some source?

> But in spite of this, the boundaries of the patches come out clearly in
> most frames of the animation! Is there a way to fix this and still keep
> the bicubic patches - or should I re-program it with an isosurface?
I am not really familiar with isosurfaces, but I think it would be
slower and you get a 3D object.

> See you in Khyberspace -
> http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/khyberspace/index-e.html
> Afghanistan Chronicle: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/
> Home-made electronic music: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/music/
>
> Yadgar
>
> Now playing: Starship Trooper, live 1996 (Yes)
Good idea, now playin Roundabout (Keys to ascension, Yes),
Starship Trooper coming up in a minute.