POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : One picture, multiple machines, using radiosity : Re: One picture, multiple machines, using radiosity Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:16:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One picture, multiple machines, using radiosity
From: =Bob=
Date: 19 Oct 2004 15:39:27
Message: <41756d6f@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote in message
: > If I split a rendering between multiple computers,
: > and the rendering is using radiosity, should I have
: > one machine generate the radiosity file to be used
: > by all the others? Or will Pov do fine without it?
:
: You have to generate and save it before and then load the data on the
: different machines. I've never tried it myself (because I've only got one
: PC), but there have been numerous reports about radiosity not looking alike.
: This is because POV-Ray only generates radiosity-samples in the visible
: image, so when you split the image onto several machines, these gather
: different samples. Gathering the data can also be done on a somewhat smaller
: image IIRC.

Ok, I got that.

: To make sure that the machines don't gather individual additional data, use
: always_sample off. It might be a good idea to slightly overlap the

Ok, I got that too.

: distributed parts of the image though, so that you could stitch them
: together in an image application if borders still don't look proper. But
: that's just a wild guess, I'm just not sure if the output will be 100% the
: same even when you load the data.

Thanks Tim!
=Bob=