POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : anyone there ?? : Re: anyone there ?? Server Time
28 Apr 2024 18:56:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: anyone there ??
From: scott
Date: 19 Oct 2004 04:10:42
Message: <4174cc02@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> The word "midnight" is not ambiguous at all.  It is well defined in
> every English dictionary.

The problem is that although midnight is defined as "the middle of the
night", or 12 o'clock, if you say "Tuesday at midnight", it is unclear
whether you mean the midnight at the beginning of Tuesday, or the midnight
at the end of Tuesday.

> Personally I am really disappointed that a few people here try to
> infer bad intentions by default and challenge even the most basic and
> common terms of every day life.  IMHO this is not only inappropriate
> but also uncalled for.

Even in everyday life people get confused with dates and times when not
explained exactly.  That is why the ISO-8601 standard exists and is used by
anyone who has anything important to do with date and time.

I'm sorry you feel it was uncalled for, but I was only just suggesting that
for next time it would be far simpler just to follow the standard rather
than getting arguments from people.