POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : oddity in media.cpp : Re: oddity in media.cpp Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:01:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: oddity in media.cpp
From: Andrew the Orchid
Date: 18 Oct 2004 15:54:28
Message: <41741f74$1@news.povray.org>
>   Exactly as the current POV-Ray source code is a bunch of hacks over hacks
> and patches over patches, making it an unmaintainable chaotic mess, the
> SDL is pretty similar. The original SDL was never meant to be a programming
> language, just a data container format. However, over the years many
> programmatical features were added (read: kludged) over the old SDL.
> The result is a bloated, mostly ugly, limited and specially inefficient
> language.

Indeed - I recently started a project to make my own SDL, with my own
interpreter, which would run the executable parts of the code, and
finally spit out "normal" POV-Ray SDL at the end.

Naturally, since I magorly suck at building parsers, this little project
did not progress far...

(I would like to say that - IMHO - as hacks go, POV-Ray [and it's SDL]
turned out not too bad at all, really! :-) Respect...)

Andrew @ home.