POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : oddity in media.cpp : Re: oddity in media.cpp Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:53:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: oddity in media.cpp
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 18 Oct 2004 13:39:15
Message: <4173ffc3@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>>   People have suggested not inventing the wheel once again but to use
>> an existing scripting language which is fast and efficient. This is not
>> a good solution because the scripting language of POV-Ray needs to be
>> specific to POV-Ray. It must be easy to create primitives, textures, etc
>> with the language. This task becomes harder if they must be created with
>> a generic scripting language not designed specifically for POV-Ray.

Well, I am the strong opinion that Warp is right here. A new language for
POVRay needs to be designed for POVRay, there is IMO no much use in
trying to use some existing language because one would run into trouble
quite quickly.

> Not necessarily. The increased difficulty can be offset by not having to
> implement all the "normal" stuff like conditionals, procedures, etc.

And, BTW, implementing a programming language using lexer and parser
generators like flex and bison (lexical analysis and syntax analysis)
is not that difficult as it may seem. It's surprisingly simple.

Wolfgang