POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : oddity in media.cpp : Re: oddity in media.cpp Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:32:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: oddity in media.cpp
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 18 Oct 2004 09:10:24
Message: <4173c0c0$1@news.povray.org>
In article <web.4173bbae82c5f45e67c1c3ff0@news.povray.org> , "jute"
<nomail@nomail> wrote:

> would be very happy to let the experienced POV-coders to do the actual
> design decisions, but I'd like to know I have a fair chance of being heard
> if I happen to come up with an idea or problem I think is worth noting.

The point is, would you be happy if you could just state it and never get a
reply?  Because the best reply you could get its along the lines "we
considered it".  There certainly would be no justification or other
explanation ...

> There are *so* many ways of avoiding that.  The funniest one probably being,
> set up a mailing list where Thorsten can allow entrance to people he deems
> worthy :-) (it would probably be one the best ways too!)

... which you seem to expect.  Yet, you cannot discuss a whole design only
by email.

> I've been waiting for a good spot to bring up one particular concern of
> mine, and while this probably isn't the perfect spot, I'll open my mouth
> anyway.
>
> The POV-Ray SDL.  I read from a post that v4 will include a new version of
> the SDL.  Is this true?  How extensive are the planned changes?  Why, if I
> may ask, are they required?

And here you show one of the primary reasons why even public and unendorsed
discussions result in confusion: There has never been a statement in this
regard.  In fact, there has not really been any statement about design
specifics.  If I had said nothing now, you would just have started a
discussion about nothing more but hearsay!

This is absolutely contrary to what I very explicitly stated: There is and
has not been any discussion about the design in the public.  All you may
have read somewhere other than the FAQ group or that was explicitly stated
to be a public POV-Team statement is something you should not be concerned
about at all.

Also, it should be absolutely clear that a public justification and
explanation of every point somebody might rise if a design would be
discussed in public would be a complete waste of time for everybody. Your
post has shown to very important points of the list of things why the design
should not be discussed and no such discussion will be endorsed by the
POV-Team in public.

If you want to make suggestions, please say what you want, but neither how
what you want should look like nor how is should be implemented or designed.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde