POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : possible parse error : Re: possible parse error Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: possible parse error
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 13 Oct 2004 16:18:16
Message: <416d8d88$1@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:
> John  Conaway wrote:
>

>>I am new to this program
>>
>>I just coppyed the downloaded folder to the hard drive. When i went to
>>render the benchmark I got...
>>
>>Possible Parse Error: Could not find file 'functions.inc'
>>File benchmark.pov line 3
>>
>>Parse Error: Cannot open include file functions.inc.
>>File benchmark.pov line 3
>>
>>Parse Warning: Check that the file is in a directory specifed with a +L
>>switch or 'Library_Path='
>>..INI item. Standard include files are in the include directory or folder.
>>Please read your
>>documentation carefully.
>>
>>File benchmark.pov line 3
>>Total Scene Processing Times
>>  Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>>  Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>>  Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>>  Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>>
>>Like i said, I am new to this and have only a vaiug idea of what all this
>>means. I have also tried rendering templates and that dose not do anything
>>either.
>>Could someone either tell me how to get this working, or dirrect me to
>>where i would be able to learn how to do it.
>

> Download folder? As far as I know you can't just "install" PovRay by copying
> a folder to your HDD - you need to install it from a specific download
> executable archive. This sets up you system to run PovRay. If you just
> copied a folder called PovRay from somewhere onto your harddrive, the
> chances (I think - I could be wrong) are good it won't work. Povray's
> installer needs to setup the registry, copy files to specific locations,
> etc.

New features for POV-Ray v3.6 (in the Windows section):

"Make it possible to run pvengine.exe without pre-defined registry settings"

http://www.povray.org/download/features/

But I don't know if this applies to Machintosh systems as well.
Anyway, if this is the way he has done it, then I think that it
can not be expected that POV-Ray will find the include files.

> Did you download an install executable from http://www.povray.org? Are you
> using Windows, Linux or Macintosh? The issues are a bit different if you
> are on Linux instead of Windows.

He is using a Macintosh running OS-X, which is a kind of BSD
(or Linux ?) variant IIRC.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.net