POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : possible parse error : Re: possible parse error Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: possible parse error
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 13 Oct 2004 13:51:18
Message: <416d6b15@news.povray.org>
John  Conaway wrote:

> I am new to this program
>
> I just coppyed the downloaded folder to the hard drive. When i went to
> render the benchmark I got...
>
> Possible Parse Error: Could not find file 'functions.inc'
> File benchmark.pov line 3
>
> Parse Error: Cannot open include file functions.inc.
> File benchmark.pov line 3
>
> Parse Warning: Check that the file is in a directory specifed with a +L
> switch or 'Library_Path='
> ..INI item. Standard include files are in the include directory or folder.
> Please read your
> documentation carefully.
>
> File benchmark.pov line 3
> Total Scene Processing Times
>   Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>   Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>   Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>   Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
>
> Like i said, I am new to this and have only a vaiug idea of what all this
> means. I have also tried rendering templates and that dose not do anything
> either.
> Could someone either tell me how to get this working, or dirrect me to
> where i would be able to learn how to do it.

Download folder? As far as I know you can't just "install" PovRay by copying
a folder to your HDD - you need to install it from a specific download
executable archive. This sets up you system to run PovRay. If you just
copied a folder called PovRay from somewhere onto your harddrive, the
chances (I think - I could be wrong) are good it won't work. Povray's
installer needs to setup the registry, copy files to specific locations,
etc.

Did you download an install executable from http://www.povray.org? Are you
using Windows, Linux or Macintosh? The issues are a bit different if you
are on Linux instead of Windows.

What the errors mean is that Povray cannot find its files in order to render
the scene you want rendered. So you are either really missing them (they
aren't there) or they are not in the correct location.

Your best bet is to delete everything, download an official install
executable or install file relevant to your operating system from
http://www.povray.org, install it and then run Povray. Chances are very
good that everything will work perfectly then.

Regards,
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician