POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to render faster? : Re: How to render faster? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to render faster?
From: scott
Date: 12 Oct 2004 06:26:04
Message: <416bb13c$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>> Hello. Is any way to put my radeon 9800 pro to render the scene in
>> povray? Some script or else?
>
> No, POV-Ray implements the ray-tracing algorithm which is not used by
> video cards.
>
> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/miscQandT.html#3dcard

3D cards do actually have some things which are useful to ray-tracing, like
all the geometry transformation operations, and the ability to run the same
code many times on different data very efficiently.  In fact I believe some
people have already written ray tracers for 3D cards with pixel shader
support.

Maybe in the future there will be a way for POV to take advantage of some of
these operations.