POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Detail Image : Re: Detail Image Server Time
1 May 2024 12:51:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Detail Image
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 10 Oct 2004 15:10:10
Message: <41698912@news.povray.org>

41695904$1@news.povray.org...
>> I rendered the image like this +w6400 +h4800 +SR0.44 +ER0.64 +SC0.55
>> +EC0.75 and in BMP format is very big, it's 87'9 Mb. Is it normal?
>
> 6400 x 4800 pixels (30 Mpix image)  x  3 bytes (24 bit image)  =  92160000
> bytes
> which corresponds to the 87.9 MB you have (the BMP header adds a few more
> bytes).
>
> I'd suggest you save your images using a lossless compression format
> such as PNG or TIFF.  Just use the POV-Ray +FN flag (for PNG) while
> rendering,
> or convert the BMP to e.g. PNG using your favorite image editor.

Note that I personally favour BMP for output. The main reason is that images
of this size take ages to save in PNG in the image editing program I'm using
(and in the other I tested), so working on large PNG files can be really
painful. Saving and loading BMPs is extremely fast in comparison.

Also, while partial BMP files seem to be fool-proof, partial PNG files can
be a problem (my editor don't open them for instance), so I don't think it's
advisable to use PNG as an output format in this case (converting the BMP to
PNG after the render is advisable). Of course, these PNG-related issues may
not exist with the image editor Oleguer is using, so your mileage may
vary...

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com