POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : What I don't get... : Re: What I don't get... Server Time
26 Apr 2024 05:06:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What I don't get...
From: St
Date: 10 Oct 2004 13:17:00
Message: <41696e8c@news.povray.org>
"Phlip" <phl### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> St. wrote:
>
> > Why can't I render my image, (1450x1024), and then change to a
> > different <read: much higher> res, and then use the internal drag
in
> > the render window (winPoV), to produce my close-up images? Will
this
> > work, and can I do this? It seems so much easier if allowed.
>
> What I don't get: The samples on http://www.povcomp.com/samples/
intend to
> show that scene elements at all scales have details.

    And indeed they do. The dragonfly close-up is a great image in its
own right. The tree close-up though, leaves a lot to be desired for
me. No pun intended. (Apologies Gilles, looks great from a distance).
;)

> I cannot evaluate a scene file >99 megabytes - a million
primitives -
> without memory exhaustion.

 I sympathise. I usually use a basic graphics program called
PhotoDeluxe(v2.0), to convert to <whatever> format, but even I had
trouble with this as my .bmp was around 87Mb's.

> So either those plants, dragonflies, and tree leaves are the only
scene
> elements with small details, and the backgrounds use more textures
than real
> plant surfaces, or the POVray team rendered their sample with some
system
> more powerful than my puny 2-year old DELL notebook running WinXP.

     Someone's playing with the prize...  ;)

> Should I figure out how to use POVcyg instead of PVengine?

    I'm sorry, can't help with this. Good luck.

   ~Steve~