POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Irregular cone scaling to bridge to curved edges? : Re: Irregular cone scaling to bridge to curved edges? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irregular cone scaling to bridge to curved edges?
From: Warp
Date: 8 Oct 2004 05:25:43
Message: <41665d17@news.povray.org>
Dave! <orr### [at] no_spam_pleaseexcitecom> wrote:
> Is there a good online tutorial for isosurfaces?  I didn't have much luck
> with the POV-Ray help docs.

  A high-school-level math book can be the best isosurface tutorial.

  You can't make eg. the supercone shape unless you know your math.

  (It was actually me who developed the Supercone macro for inclusion
in POV-Ray. Even though an equivalent isosurface would have done the
job, I felt that I should make it a quartic because then I wouldn't
need to worry about max_gradients nor accuracies and it would always
render properly. Anyways, it was quite an interesting mathematical
exercise to develop the quartic vector.)