POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tips on maximizing contrast? : Re: Tips on maximizing contrast? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:14:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tips on maximizing contrast?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 Oct 2004 05:52:10
Message: <415fcbca@news.povray.org>

415e9f60$1@news.povray.org...
> I'm often finding that when I bring up the color histogram for a completed
> work,  I haven't used the full color range-- things are kind of washed out
> to medium levels of brightness.
>
> Any tips on how to maximize contrast in the artistic color sense (don't
> mean
> compositional sense)?

It's not easy. I think that the best way is to mimic real life lighting as
much as possible.

- Get rid of the default ambient 0.1 in the finish.
- Use high intensity values for lights. See Jaime's lightsys macro for
instance. In any case, the trick, for indoor lights, is to have very high
intensities and very short fade distances.
- Use darker pigment and colours than one would think (sampling colours from
photographs is often very telling)
- Rely on radiosity for indirect lighting. The 3.6 unclipped values can give
beautiful results. Keep the recursion level as low as possible (1 tend to
give the best constrast, 2 and 3 give more subtle results).

When doing such complex adjustments, it may be practical to use variables to
control the brightness of lights and the diffuse values of textures. For
instance you can have the finish statement written like {ambient 0 diffusion
0.7*Global_Diffusion} and then use the Global_Diffusion value to control the
way textures look throughout the scene.

It still may be necessary to manipulate the colours in Photoshop (or
equivalent), for instance by playing with the tone levels. Beware of not
losing too many colours though.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com