POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Extremely inept use of photons. (Help requested) : Re: Extremely inept use of photons. (Help requested) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:12:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extremely inept use of photons. (Help requested)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 29 Sep 2004 17:58:13
Message: <415b2ff5$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" <JUSTTHELOWERCASE:timISNOTnikias(at)gmx.netWARE> wrote in
message news:415a6379@news.povray.org...
> SNIP
>> with       spacing 0.0002
>>       count 10000000
> SNIP
>
> Eh, isn't that combination kinda pointless? AFAIK, you use either
> "spacing"
> and POV-Ray figures the amount of photons based on distance to lightsource
> or something like that, if you use "count", you're telling POV-Ray to use
> specific amount, which it will divide amongst the lightsources... Their
> mutual. Though I might have the technical details wrong, that's the main
> point of using spacing vs count.
>
> Ah, just found it: "3.6.3.2.1  Photon Global Settings" in 3.6.1 Docs, read
> past the blue values and you'll find: "The number of photons generated can
> be set using either the spacing or count keywords: [...]"

Oops.  :-[

Well, I must have grabbed that code from someone.  I'm going to go find
someone else to blame for my problems...  (just kidding)  But seriously, I
think I did find those settings somewhere else from someone who used photons
to do something pretty nifty.  I guess I'll have to experiment more on my
own.

But thanks for letting me know!  :-)

--
Jeremy