POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rotating the camera : Re: rotating the camera Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rotating the camera
From: Alain
Date: 29 Sep 2004 17:52:45
Message: <415b2ead$1@news.povray.org>
HermanS nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004-09-29 15:18... :

>I want to illustrate some elements about perspective. So I made a model
>of a room and also of a tower. I don't have any problems to reproduce
>one point and two point perspective.
>Now I want to illustrate three point perspective using the tower and
>reproducing the effect of rotating a photographic camera slightly as to
>get the image of the whole tower on the picture.
>I found the possibility to rotate the camera (ex. around the X-axis),
>but the result isn't what I think it should be. What about the
>combination of rotating the camera and the "look_at" and "direction"
>directives? Does it have any sense to rotate a camera and to maintain
>this two elements?

Unless the camera is at <0,0,0> any rotation will also move it. If the
camera is at <0,0,-10> and you rotate it by -30*x, it's now at
<0,-5,-8.66> and possibly under your ground. Personaly, I only rotate my
camera if I want to tilt it lateraly or turn it in an animation.
Using look_at is a good way to orient your camera. You place it where
you want and set the center point of it's field of vision. The direction
is also good but may be less intuitive to some, me included.

Alain