POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : benchmark speed on duron 1.6: gcc vs. icc : Re: benchmark speed on duron 1.6: gcc vs. icc Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:48:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: benchmark speed on duron 1.6: gcc vs. icc
From: Thierry CHARLES
Date: 28 Sep 2004 04:56:40
Message: <41592748@news.povray.org>

> i have some povray benchmarks. they're much faster than my old celeron 800.
> they even beat my dad's celeron 2ghz by 33%. what i find interesting is
> that the gcc compiled binaries beat the icc binaries. it was vice versa on
> my old celeron. in a nutshell, gcc (3.2.x) is better than icc (7.x) for
> povray on an athlon-xp core cpu

I think there is something wrong on your dad's pc : a celeron 4 @ 2GHz
CANNOT be slower than a celeron 2 @ 800 MHz !!!!

On an other hand, you must not compare ICC and GCC on a non-INTEL
processor : INTEL has no reason to create optimized compiler for
concurrent processors !

Finally, GCC and ICC have been largely improved since you got your old
celereon

Thierry