POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interesting side-effect... : Re: Interesting side-effect... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting side-effect...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 27 Sep 2004 17:27:33
Message: <415885c5$1@news.povray.org>
> Yes, it's a bug (no harm done, it just messes with the display when the
file
> output is a bmp). See my bug report dated Sept 1. The bizarre thing is
that
> though it's a very visible bug (render bmp, abort trace, resume trace,
> blam!) it took such a long time to be noticed!

Well, I guess many just use subset-framing to start at certain points in an
animation, rather than using continued trace. Makes sense as well, as
POV-Ray needs to parse the finished frames before it recognizes that the
Output-File is present (which might be useful to handle with an option to
check first and only parse if image isn't finished or not present, but is
needed for situations in which each frame creates data for the next, like
via particle systems or such).

In any case, I've often, instead of resuming an animation, started off at a
later frame, hence I missed the bug before. Still it's just a minor nuisance
in display, nothing of extreme importance, so I guess an update will be
released once more serious problems have been fixed. I won't complain. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"