POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: Povray on Debian AMD64 : Re: Povray on Debian AMD64 Server Time
5 Jul 2024 12:54:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray on Debian AMD64
From: Ross
Date: 24 Sep 2004 11:32:00
Message: <41543df0$1@news.povray.org>
news:41528eb6@news.povray.org...
> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> > Did you ever check out what junk
> > Debian distributes a "stable" or "testing" povray packages.  Their
"stable
> > version is a seven year outdated version of POV-Ray with more broken and
> > incompatible patches than POV-Ray has lines of code.  Their "testing"
> > version is not a tiny bit better, and there is no serious interest in
> > correcting it either.
>
>   And these are people who think "a >> 8" will give a different result
> in systems with different endianess and is thus not portable between
> platforms.
>   If they know so little about basic C standards, I would not be very
eager
> to trust their code.

slightly o-t, but having never had to consider endian-ness in programs due
to hardly ever using bit level operators. i always just assumed that you
would have to use a >> 8 on some machines and a << 8 on other machines
(though honestly it's something i never really think about)

ya learn something everyday... hopefully. maybe it's about time i buy K&R's
C book. just for the details i've missed thoughout.

thanks.