POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: Povray on Debian AMD64 : Re: Povray on Debian AMD64 Server Time
5 Jul 2024 12:48:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray on Debian AMD64
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 22 Sep 2004 19:00:35
Message: <41520413$1@news.povray.org>
> and Povray is _not free software_, so what do you really expect?

	POV-Ray's licenses are not OSI-compatible, yet POV-Ray is
provided with full source code, so I don't see how it could prevent
anyone to "decently" support it in their distros.

> Do you have any actual
> _evidence_ that the gcc problems in this thread have anything to do with
> a Debian patch, or of the systemic problems you accuse them of?

	In fact, it is a problem with vanilla gcc 3.3.4 on the AMD64.
But the fact that gcc 3.4.x (which _does_ compile POV-Ray on the AMD64)
gives the same ICE on a Debian AMD64 install is quite suspicious...
Either the user or the system is in fault.  For some reason I suspect
the system is the answer  ;-)

> Every GNU/linux user that I know runs Debian, for good reason:  It's
> more functional, more solid, and _far_ easier to administer than most
> other distros, and upholds the ideals of free software better than all.

	More
- functional: no idea
- more solid: I wonder
- easier to administrate than most other distros: not with outdated
softwares I believe.

	OTOH I'm using Knoppix 3.4 without fear (don't tell me it's
based on Debian -- that is not the same thing at all, it's a completely
different distro anyway).

	- NC