POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3d spline path editor? : Re: 3d spline path editor? Server Time
2 Jun 2024 15:40:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3d spline path editor?
From: Ross
Date: 22 Sep 2004 15:36:36
Message: <4151d444$1@news.povray.org>
"Steve Shelby" <ssh### [at] shelbyvisioncom> wrote in message
> Is there a program available that allows you to place points for a 3d
> spline, showing what the spline path looks like, and allowing you to move
> points to see how that changes it? I've done a lot of searching, and have
> come up with nothing, except for people discussing the possibilities.
> Steve Shelby

I've been working on a 2D spline editor for linux, though i was going to use
libsdl and it would be more or less platform independent. I could be
convinced to make it a 3d editor with openGL, but I already know far to
little about what i'm doing in a 2D environment that most likely it will be
a 2D editor and some time down the line a 3D editor. I had thought about the
3D editor situation a little bit. It could be very usefull for a variety of
things. One thing I had thought about was having some kind of primitive
version of your scene, maybe with just major objects represented as
cylinders or something, so you could define a spline around them using them
as a visual reference. It could get all freaky and read a pov file to
determine where to place and how much to scale a cylinder for preview, but
that's just crazy talk right now.

I also know nothing about computing the path of splines yet, so it will be a
simple connect the dots type of preview view, but with the ability to
save/export it as whatever type pov supports. So i've got quite a bit to
learn, and this has interrupted my pov-comp entry which won't get finished.
It was going to be a classic still life of glassware, dinner plates, and
maybe some fruit with a nice mediteranean style view out a window. Ah well.
None of this helps anyone now.

i also never released my tga2df3 implementation. maybe i'll do that this
weekend (i've said that before) as long as i left it in a working state. I
jump between personal projects like there's no tommorow. just thought of
something off-topic. see you there :)

-ross